The Cocoa Clinic founded in 1973 as a small office Clinic (at COCOBOD Head office) to provide medical treatment to staff and dependants of Ghana Cocoa Board and its Subsidiaries, Divisions and departments has blossomed into a full-fledged medical facility catering for over 100 corporate bodies, private individuals, and health insurance scheme clients.
Advantage of Country-wide Networks
The Cocoa clinic is arguably the only high profile health facility in the country with branches in strategic parts of the country- Tafo Cocoa Research Institute, Kumasi, Debiso (high cocoa growing area in the Western Region) and the two port cities of Tema and Takoradi. Where Cocoa clinic is not physically present there are arrangements with COCOBOD affiliates such as PBC to offer First Aid to Cocoa farmers.
Mission of Cocoa Clinic
The mission of Cocoa clinic is to provide a 24-hour quality medical service to farmers, staff and dependants of Ghana Cocoa Board (including divisions and subsidiaries), corporate clients and private individuals at an affordable cost with highly skilled and well motivated staff using excellent working tools.
The Cocoa clinic is likely to be the only health system among its peers that provides all these client-focused goodies as spelt out in its mission in one basket. Many first time clients continue to be our main points of referrals for new clients.
The vision of Cocoa Clinic
- To provide quality, customer-focused and affordable health service in Ghana.
- We believe our clients and general public are the best reviewers of our services.
A key feature of a health facility is its accessibility. All the Cocoa clinics have been strategically sited to provide clients with easy access. The Accra Cocoa clinic is located in a serene part of capital literally screened from the hustle and bustle of the city. The Kumasi clinic is about 1 km away from the COCOBOD Jubilee House and a walking distance from the State Transport bus terminal. The Debiso clinic is the first edifice that welcomes you into the township from the Sefwi-Wiawso-Debiso road. The Tafo clinic is located closely to the entrance of the Cocoa Research Institute of Ghana (CRIG). The Tema clinic can be found on the premises of the Cocoa Processing Company (CPC) while the Takoradi clinic is located within the new Cocoa Village at Apowa.
The Cocoa clinic is well-known for its first-class endoscopic examinations. Other services include specialist care for Obstetrics & Gynaecology, ENT, Surgery and Internal Medicine and Radiology. It has a fully equipped laboratory and a pharmacy well-known for stocking good quality medicines. Scans (including CT) from the Cocoa clinic are reputed to be among the best in the country. Clients of Cocoa clinic are regularly educated about the Safe Use of Medicines. The flagship Disposal of Unused/Unwanted Medicines Programme (DUMP) is the first of its kind in the country. Clients are regularly encouraged to return unused medicines back to the clinic for safe disposal by the Food & Drug Authority (FDA).
The ensuing comment by a client sums up everything "I was initially apprehensive when I came to Cocoa Clinic for the first time. At the registration I was asked whether I had National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) card. I was surprised because I least expected this looking at the quality of service on offer. I went through the records, vital readings, consulting room, laboratory and pharmacy. At the pharmacy I got educated about how to safely use my medications. This is unique!"
24-hour Medical Service
Computerized Records and Documentation System
- Easy retrieval and processing of client information at the touch of a button.
- Expanded and refurbished facilities to augment client-focused care
- Well-ventilated, high ceiling area ensures free circulation, even at peak times
- Weight & height (BMI)
- Expert blood pressure measurements, etc
- Big screen television providing 24 hours of movies, news, etc
- Dietary therapy
In-patient (Ward facility)
- Classy set-up, spacious rooms with individual utility areas
- Caring nurses on call 24 hours a day
- Very hospitable environment conducive to good health
- Newly installed machines manned by very competent personnel
- Mammogram for breast checks
- Ultra-sound Scan
- State-of-the-art CT Scan Machine
- Expanded and refurbished to augment client-focused care
- Re-equipped recently with modern computerized facilities
- Additional space for documentation and sample collection facilitate laboratory procedures
- Newly built, state-of-the-art facility with increasing referrals and usage by renowned experts in various fields of specialization
- General surgery, etc
- Strong in endoscopic examinations
- Internal medicine
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Weight management clinic
- Diabetes clinic
- Glaucoma clinic
- Palliative care
- Hepatitis B screening and treatment centre
- HIV/AIDS voluntary counselling & testing centre
- The only set-up with a disposal of unused/unwanted medicine program (DUMP)
- Well stocked set-up with a well ventilated waiting area
- Quality and competitively priced pharmaceuticals
- Continuing education ensures that personnel are well primed to discharge their duty to clients
- In-house production of various pharmaceuticals
- High client satisfaction with products from the pharmacy
- Publication of "SAFE MEDICINES" magazine to promote safe use of medicines Administration, Accounts, Information Systems Unit
- Well informed personnel provide the requisite support for other sections
- Ensure seamless care to clients
Human resource (capital)
- Fourteen medical officers
- Four consultants
- Eleven pharmacists
- Sixty nurses
- Administrative support staff, including security and drivers number about 40
- Five air-conditioned, well equipped vehicles providing 24-hour service
- Easy, quick transportation of referrals assured
- Our drivers are trained to provide back-up support for nurses transferring clients to other health centres
- Good nutritional support for in-patients
Laundry & General Cleaning
- Ultra-modern laundry catering for all the laundry needs of the clinic
Ambiance & Landscaping
The following comment sums up client impressions: "I couldn't believe that I was in a clinic. It looks more like a guest house. Approaching the clinic, I was captivated by the well kept, lush green love grass. Green climbers could be seen both on top and between the intricate contours of the beautiful fence wall. The scene inside is breathtaking; arrays and arrays of expertly and beautifully cultivated flowers. The effect was most soothing even before I was ushered through the procedures. I wish I could have stayed on much longer after the service…"
With all these hallmarks of the clinic, little wonder that clients and visitors leave the facility with so much satisfaction.